within just a few hours, we finally had the answers that we had spent two years looking for.

My name is Lindsey and my husband’s name is Greg. We’ve been trying to conceive (TTC) for almost 3.5 years. We saw our first specialist in 2014, referred to us by our local doctor. Mind you, we are from a super small town in BC, Canada, so this specialist wasn’t exactly equipped with the latest technology.

After a full checkup and some blood tests, the doctor said we are both healthy, young adults and should just relax and have fun. In the meantime, he put me on two rounds of Clomid. Months go by, and still – no baby. We were at a loss. When we went back in December 2016, our local doctor decided to send us to Calgary, AB to see another specialist.

The first appointment available was March 2017. Come March, we met with Dr. O’Keen at Regional Fertility Program. My husband and I both underwent a series of tests, and within just a few hours, we finally had the answers that we had spent two years looking for.

We learned that my husband has what they call “antibodies” around his sperm. He has a ton of sperm, but unfortunately 97% are covered by these antibodies, leaving us with only a 3% chance of conceiving naturally. I was devastated at the time, but thankful that we still had a chance to conceive through IVF. Still, I can’t help but think about those two years that passed us by. Two years of crying every time I got my period, and over the endless amounts of money we were spending on ovulation and pregnancy tests. Two years of watching our fertility numbers decrease.

Unfortunately, mine is not an uncommon story. In Canada, 1 in 6 couples suffer some sort of obstacle(s) when trying to conceive a child, yet there are only 4 provinces where IVF is available. It is so expensive that most people who do go through IVF will have to take out a loan to do so.

Even with all we’ve been through, my husband and I know how lucky we are to have the opportunity to do IVF. We’ll be doing our first round this September, and I absolutely cannot wait!